Cary was traditionally a centre of textile production and the town is still home to a horsehair weaving factory - John Boyd Textiles Ltd, established in 1837.
The area is well served for local transport, Castle Cary station is on the main line from London Paddington to Exeter St David's and is served by an InterCity as well as local services. We are also the nearest station for the Glastonbury Festival. Link for rail information - live train departures from Castle Cary.
On June 19th 2004, Castle Cary was granted Fairtrade Village status
Ansford is recorded in the Doomsday book; it's name, known then as Almundsford, deriving from the ford over the river Brue, near the home of the Saxon Almund.
After the Norman Conquest the lands passed to Robert Breharvel, whose descendants built the castle of Cary.
In Regency times the road through the village was described as 'a considerable thoroughfare' linking Bath and Bristol with the resorts of Weymouth and Sidmouth. At this time there were no less than five coaching inns on Ansford Hill.
The Woodforde family acquired land early in the 18th century and later.